Just awhile ago I was browsing through my FB and I came across one status update. It was about a church arson attack. I was curious so I went and Goggle-d it. And there it was. A news on arson attacks on 3 churches in Malaysia. *sigh*
What's happening now amongst the Malaysian. How can one be so thoughtless on doing such act? 1Malaysia, yeah right ... That's just NATO (No Action Talk Only).
This makes me think back on an essay I was asked to write in 2003, when I as in Form 5. It was for a contest held by the News Straits Times. The name of the contest was Portrait of a Young Malaysian. I remember what I felt when I wrote out my essay, my own portrait as a young Malaysian. I was proud to be a Malaysian, the reasons are mainly because of the different races and cultures we have here living together harmoniously. I even compared Malaysia to a country where I've spent 5 years of my childhood.
But now, all those words seemed bleak and empty. My eyes are open up wide now. I know what's going on. Back in 2003, I was living under a shell, protected by my teachers. Only being told what we should know. But now, if I were to write an essay again on Portrait of a Young Malaysian, it would be so much more different.
Malaysian, what's happening to us? Where is that 1Malaysia concept? Actually we don't even need that 1Malaysia concept to tell us and guide us to be better people. Use your heart. What would you feel if others treat you unjustly?
Dear Malaysia, how can I be proud to be a Malaysian if your people are acting this way?
Prayer for our country
Almighty God,
bless our nation
and make it true
to the ideas of freedom and justice
and brotherhood for all who make it great.
Guard us from war,
from fire and wind,
from compromise, fear, confusion.
Be close to our president and our statesmen;
give them vision and courage,
as they ponder decisions affecting peace
and the future of the world.
Make me more deeply aware of my heritage;
realizing not only my rights
but also my duties
and responsibilities as a citizen.
Make this great land
and all its people
know clearly Your will,
that they may fulfill
the destiny ordained for us
in the salvation of the nations,
and the restoring of all things in Christ.
Amen
Pray for our country,
Friday, January 8, 2010
1Malaysia? Puh-Leez ..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment