Saturday, November 14, 2009

What was you're ambition when you were 6?

The other day, I answered a random question in Facebook. It was about what was your ambition when you were little. I smiled when I thought back on what I wanted to be.

There was one period of time when I wanted to be a Professional Ballerina. (I still do!) I was quite serious on becoming a ballerina. My parents enrolled me for ballet classes in Honiara when I was 4. I was delighted when my god-father gave me a present in the form of a ballerina tutu and also a pair of ballerina shoes. (I still have them somewhere in my closet). I even took part in a ballet performance. The performance was based on one of my favorite Disney Princess, Sleeping Beauty. But as I was a beginner and was too small to handle important roles, I ended up being a minion fairy. -____-“ Still it was fun. But then, my ballet classes had to come to an end because my family had to move back to Malaysia. *sigh* There goes my Professional Ballerina dreams. Up until today, I really envy those ballerinas I see in the tellie, especially if they are performing Swan Lake. :(

Then, I wanted to be a Professional Pianist. I love music and I especially love the piano. Love touching the keys and listening to the sounds they make. And so, my parents enrolled me for piano lessons (to make up for my ballet classes). I was thrilled. Every week, I’d look forward for my piano lessons. Even though my instructor was very strict and fierce, the best day of the week would always be the day I have piano lessons. I’d walk to my instructor’s house for these lessons, rain or shine.

Wait! There’s one funny incident I can never forget that happened on those short walks I took. There was one time when I was on my way; I was suddenly surrounded by dogS! I didn’t know what to do so I just stood there; too petrified to shout or ask for help (I was only 6 or 7 at that time). I wanted to run but then I remembered reading from somewhere that if you run, dogs will tend to chase you. So there I was, trying to stand very still, hoping the dogs would lose their interest in me and go away. I was just a millisecond away from crying when my ‘knight in shining armor’ came to the rescue. (Actually, he was just a kid bit older than I was, riding his bike on the way to a convenient store. -____-“) So, he chased away the dogs then came back to make sure I was alright. The only thing I can remember him saying to me was “OK. You can go now. Dogs are gone.” Haha.

Ok, Ok. Back to my ambition on becoming a pianist. No, did not turn out to be a pianist. Another shattered dream along with my ballerina dream. Had to quit my piano lesson when I found out that I’d be entering SM Sains Kuching, which is a Sekolah Berasrama Penuh (SBP). So, goodbye Professional Pianist.

After that, I have no idea on what my ambition was anymore. But! I found a new passion. Writing. I love to write. Whenever I feel sad or angry or just bored, I’d pick up a pen and just write. Prove? My ever so thick diaries from high school and matriculation. :) (Psst! I’m still doing it. But no more books. It’s all in my lappie.)

I love poetries. I love short stories. I love anything to do with writing. My favorite subject during high school? English Literature. I love Shakespeare. Love, love, love Shakespeare. Used to dream that one day I could go and study bout him and all those other famous writers. And so, after my SPM, I tried to apply for TESL. Figured that that would be my first step on my journey to go and study more on Shakespeare and the others. But, no answer. :( I thought that maybe my English wasn’t good enough. So I waited. After taking my MUET, I tried to apply again. But still, no can do. Imagine the frustrations! So, goodbye Shakespeare. That was when someone suggested that I should consider studying linguistic. BUT, my parents and relatives were against that idea. *sigh*

In the end, where am I? Here in Curtin, doing a double major in Commerce. Commerce! That’s like so different then what I wanted to be when I was little. Loving my Marketing units but really struggling through my Finance units. Why oh why did I took finance? *sigh* How do I see myself in the future? Ugh! Pretty bleak for me in the finance stream. :( Hope I’d do better in the marketing stream.

Oh wait! I’ve found another passion. Baking. Actually, I’ve been baking ever since I was a kid. Helped Mummy a lot in the kitchen. The first cake that I baked all by myself was a birthday cake for Mummy when I was 10 years old. Did it from scratch, ok? Even the icings. That was 13 years ago. Now, here I am, baking and selling cupcakes as a way of eliminating stress from studying too much. :) Maybe after I’ve completed my degree in Finance and Marketing, I could go for classes at Wilton? Can I? Haha.

Eva Holt! Don’t you dare forget bout BrainWash. :)

Anyway, what I’m trying to tell is that what you dreamt of as little kids might not necessarily come true when you get older. Take my ambitions for example.

Yes, I would still love to be a ballerina. But I don’t think my bones could tolerate on all those pointy toes exercises anymore.

Yes, I would still love to be a pianist. I still can go back for piano lessons. But then, when I’m done, would the world be ready for an old pianist? Haha.

Yes, I would still love to study bout Shakespeare. Guess I’d have to settle on Google-ing infos bout him rather than attending lectures.

Maybe in the future, you’ll see me running my own business. Selling cupcakes, cookies, cakes, pies, scones and what so ever. :)

Or maybe, just maybe I’ll be writing articles for some glossy high class magazine. :) (I still love writing ok?)

Who knows what the future might bring. Come what may.

1 comments:

Eva said...

I'll remember BrainWash forever!!! Haha..Shhh..